Fireworks Launch at Crowd in Warwickshire

Firework

A Warwickshire sports club has been fined thousands of pounds after people were burned at a Guy Fawkes Night.

On November 5th 2011 two people suffered minor burns at a display in Cubbington.

It was after several small fireworks launched sideways and exploded near the watching crowd.

Two more people from the audience contacted Warwick District Council to complain – saying one firework hit a burger van and another had left children terrified.

Following an investigation the organisers – Cubbington Sports and Social Club Ltd – pleaded guilty to two health and safety failings.

They were fined five thousand pounds and gave assurance that any events held in the future would meet safety requirements.

Councillor Michael Coker, Portfolio Holder for the Environment at the council said: “The injuries to the two members of the public resulted from serious breaches of health and safety legislation. 

“The accident was preventable and foreseeable as fireworks are explosives and the associated risks are well known.

Guidance for organisations planning such an event is readily available to download, free of charge, on the Health and Safety Executive website. I hope that organisations undertaking firework displays, will seek advice from their local Council and the Fire Authority, prior to their event.”

Say Hello

For all the latest local traffic and weather news, please select your area.

Free Radio

Hello, we are Free Radio

We love living round here

Tell us where you are, so we know what you're interested in.