Two Arrests Over ‘Anti-Terror Hotline Access’

Two teenagers have been arrested in connection with the police investigation into alleged attempts to access an anti-terror hotline and record conversations.

The youths, aged 17 and 16, were taken into custody yesterday evening after an investigation by the police central e-crime unit.

The pair were arrested at an address in the West Midlands on suspicion of offences under the Malicious Communications Act and the Computer Misuse Act.

They are both currently in police custody in the West Midlands.

The arrests come after Scotland Yard denied its computer systems were hacked after a recording emerged of a confidential phone discussion between counter-terrorism officers.

On Thursday activists from the so-called Teampoison hacker collective claimed they were able to breach security and make the recording, which was later posted on YouTube.

However, Scotland Yard director of information Ailsa Beaton said she was satisfied there was no attack on the Met’s internal systems.

“We have throughout the day researched the allegation that the anti-terrorist hotline had been ‘hacked’ and activists’ claims that they were able to listen unrestricted to confidential communications,” she said before the latest arrests.

“We are confident the MPS communication systems have not been breached and remain, as they always have been, secure.

“We are satisfied that any recording would have been made via the receiving handset only and not from an attack on internal systems.

“The public can remain confident in the ability to communicate in confidence and that the integrity of the anti-terrorist hotline remains in place.”

Say Hello

For all the latest local traffic and weather news, please select your area.

Free Radio

Hello, we are Free Radio

We love living round here

Tell us where you are, so we know what you're interested in.